alariccabiling

Alaric Cabiling, Author

Alaric Al Necro Cabiling is author of Insanity By Increments, stories.  He is also known for his published articles at CvltNation.com and EchoesAndDust.com promoting the international extreme music scene.

Other People We Married
Emma Straub

His most compelling collection

A Bit on the Side - William Trevor

A Bit On The Side shows its stripes without so much as attempting to disguise them. Focusing on fluid language and moments of visceral impact, the tragedies and sad circumstances that beset the characters in A Bit On The Side truly reveal the tenuous nature of fragile relationships. Whether caught on a crossroads or unwillingly facing the end of a tryst, the characters here are approachable and intimate in their struggle against loneliness. William Trevor's body of work is awe-inspiring but I find that this collection more than the others he's written, truly reflects his capacity to shock and inspire his readers. Clearly, stories such as Solitude may not find many who relate to its hopeless acceptance of despair and loneliness, but every so often Trevor uses a character that we've all known intimately for at least some short time, and it is this aspect of his work that captures the reader's heart more so than characters that are out-of-step. Dare I say, that Trevor's A Bit On The Side is his most potent work? It is in my humble opinion, his most compelling.